Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The person who has inspired and influenced my Life

I did not had any person in mind when receiving this task to complete the blog post. There have been many people I met throughout my 20 years of living. Some stayed, and some left. Thinking back, this person may not be someone who changed my life a lot, but someone who had taught me things in life and impacts the people around her with positive influence. She was my primary school form teacher and also my maths teacher, Miss Phua.

At that age when all of us first entered primary school, we were all innocent individuals. Miss Phua taught me maths for the first two years. She was a very caring and thoughtful teacher to our class. Her outgoing personality made positive impression to most of the students and gave an image to be someone approachable. I remembered that we only had three subjects back then, which were English, Mathematics, and Chinese. Maths was something I used to dread most. It felt like an ordeal having to deal with calculations, not to even mention that analyzing patterns which was even worse.

Miss Phua noticed that I did not have any interest in maths as the subject was new to me. She gave me advice on how to look at the subject from another perspective and understand how the sums work. From then on, I practiced on my sums and maths became my favourite subject till now. Learning maths throughout these years have helped and guided me a lot in terms of thinking and analytical skills. The reason of having the passion to learn maths had gave me a path in choosing the engineering sector to continue my studies in polytechnic, and even now in SIT.

Despite it was a short time spent with Miss Phua as she had to leave the school for personal reasons, I felt that she was someone who inspired me in a way and giving the best she could for her students. Till now, when I look back at our class photos, it brings back a lot of good memories to me.

(347 words)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pei Yan,
    Do you still like Math now? hahaha.
    Anyway, your teacher must have meant a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have interest in maths... haha but sometimes I do wonder if my passion for it is really there. Yup she definitely was! :-)

      Delete
  2. I can see the complicated connection in the essay:
    The chance for you to meet your form teacher inspired you to pursue your maths with passion.
    The passion for maths led you to come into contact with engineering.
    The decision to join the engineering programme in SIT brought you the chance to know.....me!!
    Without your form teacher, everything might have changed. Consequently, we will end up in different parts of the world! I should appreciate the chance for you the know your inspiring form teacher, and most importantly, the chance for me to know you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha interesting connection you made. It was great to know you in SIT too! Stay in contact ^^

      Delete
  3. Hi Pei Yan,

    Teachers really do play a big role in shaping our interest in the subject isn't it ? :)
    I am really glad that she was able to stimulate your interest in Maths.
    Afterall, Maths is really a fun subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe everyone in our course have interest in maths too! ^^

      Delete
  4. I'm always glad to hear that a teacher has had an influence on a person's life. Thanks for sharing about Ms Phua.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always glad to hear that a teacher has had an influence on a person's life. Thanks for sharing about Ms Phua.

    ReplyDelete