Thursday, December 3, 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback (Critical Reflection)

Unlike the previous communication modules I have took in polytechnic, SIE2016 Effective Communication could be said as one of the most enriching module that I have gained a lot from it. The previous modules that I have studied before taught me things like, writing emails; solving problem situations on a simpler scale; written and spoken information; and preparing for job interviews. I thought this module would probably be a repetition of what I had learnt previously. However, it was different from my perspective. I was able to learn the correct format for writing a group technical report. Simple things like headings, citations and appendix were never taught in-depth before. Ways to avoid plagiarism were taught as well.

Blogging was introduced to encourage consistent updates of the e-portfolio which marks as part of the module requirement. From the various drafts and reflections posted on our respective blogs, we had to leave comments on our classmates' posts as part of peer feedback. I thought that this was effective in terms of conveying the message to our classmates. Most of us might find it hard to give comments to someone verbally. Thus, leaving shared comments online was a good alternative for a learning process. To me, having peer and tutor feedback were essential after 12 weeks, be it for this particular module or other modules. As the audience can see better than how you do, constructive feedback would be given. The valuable feedback received allows an individual to take note on things he/she can improve for the next round of editing and performance.

An example would be during the group consultation for the project proposal report. My tutor was very helpful and assisted as much as he could to make our team's report better. The detailed feedback given had helped me and my team to complete the report efficiently and accurately. Not only were the feedback skills learnt, getting to know what points could have been missed out by reading the other students' blog posts makes one reflects too. I understand that Effective Communication focuses on writing and presentation skills. With the objectives in mind, I believe that I have equipped skills that allows me to apply it in the future modules I will be taking for the other trimesters in SIT.

(379 words)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Pei Yan,
    Nice working with you for the past weeks.
    I hope my feedback has helped you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was nice working with you too! :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Pei Yan,

    It is nice knowing that you find this module helpful!
    It was nice to work with you for the past 12 weeks
    See you around in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pei Yan,
    It seems you like the module. That is good. Perhaps you may not like the language itself like me. However, learning through a journey of interaction may be better to apprepriciate the language. In the future even in work, I am sure there will be a lot of peer feedback for group and project work. So let us inculcate an interest for such interaction and make our future an exciting one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pei Yan,
    It seems you like the module. That is good. Perhaps you may not like the language itself like me. However, learning through a journey of interaction may be better to apprepriciate the language. In the future even in work, I am sure there will be a lot of peer feedback for group and project work. So let us inculcate an interest for such interaction and make our future an exciting one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pei Yan,
    Similarly to you, I thought SIE 2016 was going to be a repetition of other modules too. In the end, it was the most effective one out of all the other similar modules. I am glad we were able to work and learn together in this module. I am sure the skills we learnt from this module will be applicable to future modules too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joey! I believe these would help us too! Looking forward to the next time we get to work with each other! :-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Pei Yan, for this comprehensive critical reflection. You do a very good job of reviewing what we did for the feedback exercises and how you felt about that. My only question now is this: How might your experience with peer feedback this term inform your writing (or speaking) in future modules? Would there be any way to get peer feedback on the future?

    That aside, I'd like to thank you for all your effort this term, and I wish you the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete